Thursday, February 12, 2009

“Hey Dad, tell the story where you….”

For years my kids have been hinting that I should put some of my stories on paper. They often say, “Tell the one…..” Once I even created a list of stories that my kids love and even some they’ve never heard while flying from the Freeport, Bahamas to Ft. Lauderdale, FL. I’ve not made much progress on that list because it seems silly to write them down and save them to the hard drive of my laptop, leaving no chance they will be read. So I decided to use this forum for such efforts.

So from time to time I will post a story that is completely out of context with current events and you will now know why. Unfortunately, my guess is that I will go down in history as a better storyteller than a storywriter. I have never figured it out, but often I simply start a story and they are laughing. It must be something to do with my face or my mannerisms. Either way, I will promise to make a grand effort.

Many of my stories will be centered on Ridgecrest, where I was born and raised; but most will be from my 20 years in Bishop, California. I have many experiences with and without my kids there. All three were born there, Charlotte in 1980, Cara in 1983 and Alessandra in 1991.

Bishop was also the place that Melodie and I moved to as soon as we were married in 1979. Although I had lived there previous to that date Melodie, the girls and I remained there as a family until 1996, when we moved to Seattle.

So, keep an eye out and you may have a chance to hear a new tale….

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!! I have no doubt that your written stories will be just as good as your storytelling!!

    ReplyDelete