Thursday, April 2, 2009

Another Face to Face Encounter with a CHiP

** Be warned. This story will make no sense if you read it before you read the post below. Proceed at your own puzzlement **

So one afternoon, about 2 years after the day I said NO to the CHiP officer I was traveling in my silver Nissan pickup eastbound on W. Line St. Alessandra was in the pickup with me, probably in her car seat, and undoubtedly talking. This talking may have been the root of the problem because where the speed limit lowers drastically from 45 to 35 and then quickly to 25 I was not paying attention to my speed. This implies that I was paying attention to Alessandra’s stories, but that may not be true either. I digress.

Somewhere between the 45 mph zone and the 25 mph zone I was traveling about 35 mph, or possibly more. Next thing I know lights are flashing behind me and I am pulled over between See Vee Lane and Sunland Ave. It’s the California Highway Patrol.

Interestingly he pulled in front and then walked back towards where I was stopped. I recognized him immediately. It was THAT officer. I braced myself for the worst. I knew this was going to be costly.

He approached my window and we exchanged all the obligatory documents and he stepped back to his car and presumably “ran my plates”. As he walked back towards the truck he noticed the red and white “Fire Dept.” reflective sticker mounted above my license plate and took silent notice of it. I must have come back clean because he gave me a warning to “keep your speed down”, and he sent me on my way.

I was stunned. I expected to be cuffed and stuffed, leaving Ali on the side of the road to walk home or something. Nonetheless, with warning in hand, I watched him walk back to his car to leave so that he could ruin someone else’s day.

He got about 30 feet from me and stopped in his tracks. He raised his right hand to the side of his head and snapped his fingers together as the light bulb when off. With the precision of an Nazi SS officer, he turned sharply around on his right toe and with reddened face marched quickly back to my window.

“Oh crap, here we go”, I thought. He arrived at my window and stuck his right pointer in my face and said, “You’re that firefighter from Collins Road aren’t you?” I said “yes” and braced for the onslaught. He was speechless. He was so red in the face he just stood there for about 30 seconds and couldn’t utter a word. Realizing he had already given me a warning he resorted to pointing to me once again and saying, “I’ve got my eyes on you Perkins.” With that he marched back to his vehicle and departed.

How I escaped that, I’ll never know. After he drove off, I took one look at Ali and she continued with her story.

2 comments:

  1. I was waiting for this one. What a laugh! Good thing you moved to Washington.

    Be sure to tell the story about using your shield and the kids saying "He's going to kick your butt." 'Nuf said. We're waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali is never short of something to say. I wouldn't be surprised if she talked the whole time that you were pulled over too!

    ReplyDelete