Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Vehicle Modifications – Free of Charge

I don’t recall what year it was but it was a fairly nice spring or early summer evening. I was at home and my pager went off. “Attention Bishop Volunteers, Attention Bishop Volunteers, please respond to a vehicle vs. power pole accident on North Sierra Highway, approximately ½ mile north of the “Y”.”

I drove to the firehouse, only to learn that Engine 10 and Engine 5 had already responded and that I had missed the first run. Shortly thereafter enough firefighters showed at the firehouse to where we could man Engine 3. Even though Station 3 was close to the scene and would likely have an Engine company there, we went anyway. Volunteers love to serve and look for every opportunity to do so, but I must be honest a big part of this service is about driving Code 3 (full lights and siren) down main street. It’s a rush you have to experience because no description can do justice.

Eventually I, along with others, arrived at the scene on Engine 3. There was already much action going on. The car had indeed hit a power pole just east of Lee & Holly Tatum’s place and the victim was trapped inside. Her injuries were not life threatening but they were severe enough that we needed to extricate her with the “Jaws of Life” in order to have her transported to Northern Inyo Hospital.

The equipment was running and men were working to release her. Usually the two most common efforts are to “pop” the door so that the individual can be released or to remove the roof of the vehicle for the same purpose. Typically when removing the roof, you cut on both sides of the vehicle the first pillar which is designated the A post, then the next one, (B post) and so on until you can fold the roof back towards the rear of the vehicle allowing access.

This victim was pretty trapped and one of our smaller firemen Donny Kunze had wormed his way in so that he could hold her hand and talk to her while the others continued to work. I came closer to see if Donny needed anything and before I could ask him I heard him say to this young lady. “Ma’am, you just need to relax and let us take care of it. We are going to turn your car into a convertible and there will be no charge.” There was a short chuckle from her and within minutes she was free and on her way to the ER.

2 comments:

  1. I feel that I need to make a comment so that you know people are reading you blog. I enjoy the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this is one of my favorite stories from your firefighting days!!! In fact, I often share it with people because I think it is so awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete